- 14.6% of 8th graders and 12.5% of 11th graders responding to the 2003
Oregon Healthy Teen Survey reported seriously considering suicide in the
past 12 months.
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death among Oregon youth aged
- There are approximately 60 or more suicides among Oregon youth each
- 85% of suicide deaths are among males.
- Firearms were used in 67% of suicides in youth ages 10-24.
- 876 youth under the age of 18 were treated in Oregon's hospital
emergency departments for a suicide attempt in 2002.
- 75% of suicide attempts were among females.
Risk factors for youth suicide risk include: prior suicide attempt,
history of depression, substance abuse, family history of suicide,
incarceration, firearm access, and homelessness.
Source: State of Oregon, Department of Health and